Thursday, February 21, 2013

Happy Holi-DIY!!


Yes, it's not the holidays anymore but this snow day reminds me of the holidays and all the DIYing I did. I discovered this past year that I really enjoy crafting, repurposing and DIYing. I'm really excited to share some of the presents that I made for close family and friends this holiday season!!! Luckily, I had the help of my husband and father-in-law because I got sick as I was finishing up my projects! Ahhh! Mental note to start early next year!

DIY 1
Christmas gift for Kate - Framed Jewelry Organizer

This was a fun gift to make! It was actually pretty easy to make assuming you have the right tools and the time! Please note that I don't claim to be a DIY expert but this is the process that worked for me!

Materials:
  • Unfinished open back frame (purchased this one from Michael's)
  • Ceramcoat All Purpose Sealer
  • Two acrylic paint colors (your base coat and your top coat) - I used brown for my base coat and a turquoise shade for my top coat. The base coat is your color that will show through the crackle so it's best to use colors that contrast well together. Some other combinations I like are brown/pink, black/white and black/lime.
  • Ceramcoat Crackle
  • Ceramcoat Varnish
  • Paint brushes
  • Screen material
  • Staples
  • Cup hooks
 Instructions:
  • Seal the frame. Let dry.
  • Apply base coat. Dry again. Apply more coats as needed to cover your piece.
  • Apply crackle. Don't let it completely dry. Dry till it's tacky. Then immediately apply top coat. Let dry completely.
  • Apply varnish. Let dry completely.
  • Cut your screen material to fit your frame. You can either tack it in or staple it in depending on how thick your frame is. 
  • Twist in your cup hooks on the bottom of the frame









Thank you to Kate for the photos!!! Stay tuned for DIY 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment