Monday, November 8, 2010

Ready to Run and Pumpkin Mania!

So after a couple weeks of training I think I'm just about ready to run my first 5k, the Turkey Trot in Naperville on Thanksgiving day! Kris and I signed up and even though he will have to slow his pace a little so I can keep up with him. He has been every encouraging throughout our runs together and has been a great motivator! I can't wait!

I am actually now in the process of looking for a new pair of running shoes in hopes to break them in before the race. I've never been really that serious about running or for that matter picking out a pair of running shoes. I do realize that I'm at the point where I do need a new pair. You are only really suppose to log 300-500 miles in your running shoes. Well seeing as I use mine for workout and running and I've had them for about 2.5 years I'd say it's about time. In my research to find a good pair of running shoes I never realized how serious this topic can be. I mean I kind of realized throughout experience that there are good running shoes and bad running shoes. I used to be in love with Nike Shox until I started running in them. They are horrible running shoes! Then I got a pair of Asics (must current running shoes) and they are wonderful but I realized while running the other day that's it time for a new pair. So back to my research on how to choose a running shoe there is some much to think about from how much you run and what kind of foot you have including pronation and gait. So this makes me think that maybe I should get educated on what kind of foot I have. My plan is to go visit Dick Pond Athletics that is in Schaumburg. They have great reviews on customer service and fitting runners for the correct shoe for their foot type.

So excited to go out for runs this week as it is in the 60's this week! Yay!

On another note, going back to my pumpkin obsession I plan on trying to make pumpkin enchiladas this week. So I'll have to post later on how those turn out. I have also really come to enjoy Hungry Girl's Iced 'n spiced pumpkin cupcakes. I don't use the frosting that they give in the recipe book because it doesn't turn out that great but the cupcakes are great by themselves are less than 100 calories (without frosting). The recipe for the cupcakes are:

2 cups moist-style spice cake mix (1/2 of an 18.25oz box)
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
1/3 cup egg whites
1/9 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water

Bake at 350 for 15 min., makes 12 cupcakes. I personally like to just double the recipe because I don't want leftover cake mix and pumpkin. Then you can store them and have one for dessert every night! Low calorie and yummy!



This past week I also made my Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup for some girlfriends. Everyone seemed to enjoy and I brought the leftovers over to my parents house and even my "VERY HEALTHY, super ripped, works out all the time" brother loved it! I think he ate three bowls! So here is the recipe for that as well:


1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
2 cans (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
(optional chopped chives)

*Directions: Saute onions for 5 mins with EVOO or other. Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste. Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and (optional) serve garnished with chopped chives.


*To make it easier I usually just saute the onions for 5 minutes and then throw everything into a slower cooker on low for 4 hours and stir occasionally. Much easier! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment