Sunday, February 12, 2012

Going Greek

This week it occurred to me that I'm a wee bit obsessed with Greek yogurt. I've had a love affair with Greek yogurt for quite some time now. I began eating Greek yogurt a few years ago as an alternative to regular yogurt. Other than it's amazing thickness and texture, Greek yogurt typically has more protein than regular yogurt and less carbs. Not to mention it tastes delicious (in my opinion of course).



Over the course of my love affair with Greek yogurt I've tried many different brands including Chobani, Stonyfield, Fage, Dannon and Greek Gods. I'm not a fan of Greek Gods Greek Yogurt as it doesn't have quite the consistency and texture that I've grown to love with Chobani and Stonyfield. In case you are wondering those are my two fav brands. Chobani doesn't add any sugar to their yogurt and Stonyfield is a great organic option. I like Fage too and buy their plain kind on occasion. However, Chobani has the most offerings in terms of flavors. They recently came out with a few new flavors and I love the Apple Cinnamon yogurt. It's A-MAH-ZING!! Some of my other co-workers have now "gone Greek," and I feel the need to pat myself on the back for persuading others to branch out and try new things.

New Apple Cinnamon Flavor (on top)

By far the greatest attribute of Greek yogurt is it's versatility. I've been experimenting with Greek yogurt, substituting it in place wherever possible. Here are some fun recipes that I've found to work really well with Greek yogurt.


Andy's Chicken Salad or Tuna Salad Sandwich


Ingredients:
  • tuna or chicken - for lunch I will use 1 can of 5oz. tuna in water
  • approx. 2 tbsp. of Chobani Plain 0% Greek Yogurt (more or less to your liking)
  • 1 tbsp. low sugar relish (more or less to taste)
  • cut up celery
  • cut up red or green grapes
Stir your ingredients together and presto you're done!

Eat with low calorie bread and a few tomato slices to make a delish low calorie sandwich. Or put on top of a bed of spinach - add avocado, tomato or other healthy veggies and your have yourself a healthy, yummy salad.



Dre's Healthified Party Ranch Dip

Ingredients:
  • 32 oz. Chobani Plain 0% Greek Yogurt 
  • 1 -2 Hidden Valley Ranch Dips Packet (add to taste)
  • Serve with vegetables or chips
I've made this recipe several times for parties and get-togethers and it's always a hit! It's as delicious if not better than your typical ranch dip with a fraction of the calories and fat.


Dip I brought for the ladies at work to snack on.

These are only two of the several recipes made with Greek yogurt. Post more recipes in weeks to come.

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY agree about the Apple Cinnamon flavor. I really want to try making this recipe with it: http://mealsandmovesblog.com/2012/01/28/apple-pie-a-la-mode/

    ReplyDelete