Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holiday Season Part 1

I've been quite the bad girl not having made a post in quite some time! This holiday season was much busier than I anticipated. It was a great holiday season and I'm a little sad that it's over. It's always so much fun to be around family and friends.

So where to start...well I suppose this post will have to actually be in two parts because there is so much to report. First, I finally ran my first 5K! Yay! I was happy that I had two wonderful people to run it with me. There was my very supporting and loving boyfriend, Kris, who can run much faster than me but stayed within a yard distance of me throughout the entire race. My younger brother, Alex, also decided to make the run with us who by the way is also much faster and more in shape than most everyone I know! At any rate, I finished the race within 30 minutes and some odd seconds. I didn't realize however that doing a race does add some extra time onto your running time when you have to dodge around so many people during the duration of the race. So I was very happy to know that I really can do a 5K at about an 8-9 min mile after I clocked myself again a few days after. I can't wait to run another one! I was also really happy to have my loving and supporting parents who came to watch the race and take photos! Not to mention the weather seemed to shape up in time for the race. It was a little misty but it was in the high 30's which I was very grateful for!

Next on my race list is running the 5 mile run in St. Louis for the St. Patrick's Day Parade Run http://www.irishparade.org/site/run/index.html with my buddy Cathy Morgan. After some thought I think the extent of my running would be possibly running a half marathon someday. I really don't think I'd ever want to run a marathon. I'm not opposed to other people running it but personally I really don't want to put that kind of stress on my body. I think it's a great accomplishment to say that you've ran one but it's not for me. With that being said I'm pretty excited about getting back into my regular workout routine. It's been hard getting back in the saddle within the past month and half being so busy. So I've decided to make a workout page and everyday I will post what I've done. I think it will help keep myself accountable to make sure I get back into a regular workout routine!


After my first 5K! I did it!

The Hulk (as we sometimes refer to him) and his big sis!
Team Dretopher!









The Gruesome Threesome!
My awesome parents!


One last item for this post will be one of my favorite recipes! Kris usually makes it for me since he's a doll but after spending some time at home for the holiday season I introduced my family to some of my favorite healthy recipes. One of the recipes that I made for them is Butternut Squash Tacos! I love tacos and making them healthier has taken the guilt out of eating them as they can get pretty loaded up with calories! So here is the recipe! Enjoy!

P.S. My family really loved these and actually all the yummy recipes I made while home! They especially loved the Pumpkin Enchiladas! They make great leftovers!


Butternut Squash Tacos

Ingredients:
1 Butternut Squash (peeled and cubed)
1 Sweet Onion (diced)
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil
garlic powder (as desired)
ancho chile powder (as desired)
Corn or flour tortillas (corn tortillas lower calorie option)

Taco Ingredients As Desired:
Cilantro
Avocado
Non fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
Low fat shredded cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, mix butternut squash and sweet onion with garlic powder, ancho chile powder, salt and pepper as desired. Mix evenly with the butternut squash and then drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 35-40 min till tender. 

In a medium sized pot cook the black beans and tomatoes. Strain or serve with a straining spoon before adding to a taco.

Then fill tacos with butternut squash/onion mix, black bean/tomatoes and all other ingredients as desired.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment